Sunday, June 10, 2012

Carving a large birch wood bowl

This wood came from a tree in my backyard that was broken by a falling oak. I cut it up and decided to make a few bowls; here's the process >
Here is the split log section chopped then planed flat with a hand plane.
Then I traced a plastic bowl with a sharpie marker.

Here I am using a laplander folding saw to cut away the waste wood.

Here is the waste all cut off.

Here I rounded of the bottom of the bowl with an axe first and then a carving knife.

I had to move in because it was getting dark out. I'm halfway through the bowl at this point.

Here is the bowl on top of the huge pile of shavings from hollowing. I really need to save up some money for an  adze! this took me 3 hours to hollow out.

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting. Do you have a short video showing the carving process ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have any videos on the carving process for this bowl, but if you'd like you can visit my YouTube channel. I have a short video on hollowing a kuksa cup. my username on utube is nitrousair

      Delete